Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Installing the Rear Cassette

...and my first mistake.

So I ordered the wrong type of wheel. All along I knew I wanted to do a Campagnolo drivetrain and ordered a wheel that was only compatible with a Shimano rear cassette. I somehow missed that there is a difference between the two. Some quick research lead to to find a company called American Classic that remedies this problem with the creation of a Campagnolo spaced (but Shimano freewheel compatible) rear casstte -- nice!


Shimano compatible freewheel (my wheel)


Campagnolo compatible freewheel - note the notches and their spacing (what I should have bought)


American Classic cassette (the remedy)

Installation seemed pretty straight forward. Pop the cassette cogs and spacers off the retaining post while keeping them in order (above) - then place them on the freewheel like so...



...followed by a spacer...



I repeated this process until all the cogs and spacers where in place. This was extremely easy because the cogs and spacers have 9 notches each--and only one is larger than the others. I aligned that with the appropriate notch on the freewheel and they all went on smooth.



All that was left is the treaded lockring...



Now, I don't have have the "proper" tool for this job. Park Tool makes a cheap "Cassette Lockring Tool" that cost a few bucks at the bike shop down the street. But I got uh...inventive...with it and just grabbed my needle-nose pliers. I was careful not to strip the notches...



I turned the lock ring until it "locked" - meaning I didn't think it was going to get any tighter. 8 bucks saved!

She spins...



Awesome.

No comments: