Monday, November 5, 2007

The Components!

Just as I did with the frame, I did a ton of research and drooling over parts. In the end, they had to meet three criteria:

1. Be functional for the type of riding I do
2. They had to technically fit the frame (and look good doing it)
3. Not kill my budget

I think I was successful on all accounts except #3. I dont feel I was being extravagant either--its just that getting quality parts is not cheap and even the little things start to add up. The look on friends faces when I tell them how much I have spent on a bike borders somewhere between confused and "are you crazy". The truth is, unless your Money-Bags McDuck, buying a bike of this quality will probably make your palms sweat as you reach for your wallet...

Anyway--enough of that. On with the fun stuff!



Here is a breakdown of what I will be putting on the bike.

Drivetrain
• FSA Gossamer compact crankset with MegaExo bottom bracket
• FSA Energy compact front derailleur
• Campagnolo Centaur Ergo 10sp brakes/shifters
• Campagnolo Centaur medium cage rear derailleur
• Campagnolo cable guides
• American Classic 10sp cassette (MORE ON THIS LATER)
• KMC chain

Everything Else
• FSA SL-280 seatpost
• FSA OS-190 stem
• FSA alloy headset spacers
• FSA Gossamer handlebars
• Campagnolo Mirage brakeset

Wheels and tires



• FSA RD-88 wheelset
• Soma Fabrication Everwear tires

That's everything! I would love to get into the details behind each purchasing decision I made, but I will sum it all up by saying that I really wanted some of the best stuff out there. I was picky about the components following a theme of sorts, the most obvious being black, but I also wanted to stick to a brand theme (Campy and FSA). FSA has some reputable, affordable and great looking parts--and Campagnolo needs no introduction. I chose Campy over Shimano for a whole bunch of reasons which I will get into later. For now I am just excited to have this blog up and I am ready to start building.

No comments: